Beginning military service in 1860 was raised in the Corps of Pages. Since 1810 the Corps of Pages placed in complex of buildings on Street., Building 26 – former Palace of Count M. Vorontsov (architect Rastrelli, rebuilt Quarenghi), who before held a Chapter of the Order of Malta. In 1819 the Corps was subordinated to the Chief Director of Cadet buildings. Back in 1829, long before the receipt of Count Tolstoy's mp have been issued rules on how to enroll in the pages and determine the Corps of Pages, and the right to request an enrollment of young children in was granted first party of the first four classes, and then – the first three or representatives of the surnames listed in the fifth and sixth line of the pedigree books (titled and ancient nobility). Like all students of the Corps of Pages Count mp Tolstoy during the training period was considered a numbered with the Imperial Court, regularly performed duties of court services, mainly during official ceremonies, where the presence of squires were required to protocol.
In 1863, during the course of the graph Pavlovich Tolstoy Page Corps over by the Chief Directorate of military educational institutions. Sleeve mark student Corps of Pages, where he studied mp Tolstoy. In 1865, mp Tolstoy was released from the Page Corps second lieutenant in the Life Guards Hussar Regiment. . In 1868 he was promoted to adjutant. In 1870-1875 years, the squadron commander, then division, temporarily commanded the regiment.